In the Nutrition kitchen, students have been studying the importance of eating a healthy breakfast. Coined as the “most important meal of the day,” eating breakfast can increase a child’s focus, a child’s energy and a child’s academic success in school. Students cut apples and helped prepare the apple oatmeal. The meal was one of the most popular meals of the year and it only took 5 minutes to cook! See the recipe below to enjoy apple oatmeal at home.
From Champions of Change (http://www.cachampionsforchange.net/en/Breakfast-Recipes.php)
Makes 4 servings.
· 1 3⁄4 cups 100% apple juice
· 1 cup quick cooking oats
· 1 large apple, cored and cut into bite-size chunks
· 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium, microwave safe bowl.
2. Place in microwave uncovered and cook on high for about 2 minutes.
3. Stir and let cool for 1 minute before serving.